Saturday, July 18, 2015

Book Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon




Hi! 
Sooo, I finally finished Outlander! I needed over a month for it but it was so worth it. Here's the review:

In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon—when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an "outlander"—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord...1743.
Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire's destiny in soon inextricably intertwined with Clan MacKenzie and the forbidden Castle Leoch. She is catapulted without warning into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life ...and shatter her heart. For here, James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a passion so fierce and a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. (from Goodreads)

I have officially a new favorite book! As I already wrote I needed quite long for this one but only because the 627 pages were really big and the words so little. 
I have absolutely no idea how Diana Gabaldon did it but I honestly enjoyed every single page I read even if nothing really happened - I still wanted to know how it would go on.
For me there were no slow parts which is quite a masterpiece for such a long novel.
Let's move on to the characters: First off there's Claire: She's one of my favorite characters I've ever read about, she annoyed me not once through the whole entire book and always had a reason for the things she was doing or the decisions she was making. Also, I loved the aspect that she was a nurse, she treated many people in this book and I admire (although it's only fictional) that so much because I'm actually thinking about becoming a doctor after graduation. I think part of the reason why the book is that long is because everything is so well described, you get a lot of details but like I said it doesn't bore you, this wonderful writing style just makes you keep on reading.
Then there's Jamie: I LOVED him, he such a likable and sweet character, especially to Claire. I can't really say much about him without spoilers and I want to keep this review spoiler-free. Just know that he's great <3
The supporting characters in Outlander were AWESOME, seriously I loved them. I liked them better in the book than in the TV show just for the reason that you get to know way more about them in the book. I mean I totally understand why they didn't take too much of for example Dougal and Column MacKenzies' stories into the show because time limit's short for one episode so only the most important stuff can make it into it but personally I liked to know more about them and that's one of the reasons why it's definitely worth it to read it even though you already watched the show. I actually started the book after the first couple episodes and unfortunately never caught up with the TV show but obviously I enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

One more thing: Since everything takes place in Scotland of course there're scottish people and all of the parts they talk are written in scottish accents! How cool is that? I was suprised how easy you understand and get used to them once you read a few pages, so I absolutely enjoyed and loved this book and highly recommend it to you! And don't worry about the size of it, it's worth it and in the end when you have about 40 or something pages left you suddenly realize how much you're going to miss this book, this might sound weird but it's an experience I made. It's not just that you don't want it to end but when it does that you're satisfied and you want to read the next book but you know you can take a break from this series for a couple weeks or months to get into something shorter and lighter and then return with fresh energy for whatever comes next.
Truly remarkable and outstanding!
Thank you so much for reading this super-long (at least for me) review! I just had a lot to say about this book :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment